Monday, December 10, 2012

ME!

So I've been missing someone!  I haven't seen this person in a while.  I can't tell you the last time we hung out together, laughed together or even cried together for that matter!  I remember the days when we used to take a day off from work to go to the movies for double matinees, stop in for a quick bite in a restaurant, head to the nail salon for a mani and pedi and find refuge at the hair salon in the perfect care of our hair stylist.  I truly can't remember the last time we just breathed and enjoyed genuine peace and quiet!  No nagging, no appointments, no phone calls, no running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.  Just calm moments in front of the fire place, curled up watching romance movies.  Or, a day out in the stores for some serious retail therapy.  Some time off with this special someone is clearly overdue.  Aha!  Alas, I remember now...the missing honoree is none other than ME!


Your girl has been totally in grind mode since I came back from vacation in September.  Full-time job, full-time mom, part-time blogger, part-time teaching instructor, oh yes and full-time wife!  I have really been neglecting myself physically and mentally.  Too busy to do the things that make me feel like me - pampering myself, indulging at a nice restaurant, and taking a quick weekend getaway.  You know it's serious business when your hair stylist calls to check up on you!  And financially, it's visible but I've been a frugalista for so long that my mind convinces me that I can spend my money on more important things.  Ah, and speaking of the mind, mentally and emotionally, I am spent!  Physically exhausted is one thing but mentally exhausted is really when I have to just stop, run to the bathroom, shut the door and breathe.  It can really take a toll on you with small children tugging at your legs, crying every minute for minor things, cranky and defiant behavior, and the constant fighting over toys!  Enough to make me want to jump out of the window!  Then one day I hear myself say something really mean, it's like an out of body experience and even I have to give myself a time out.  After a few breathing sessions, I finally realize...that I have to do something about this funk that I'm in before I snap.  So here's where I've started:

#1 - Early morning devotional prayer!  I'm realizing that each day that I wake up and my family wake up healthy and sound is a blessing.  I must treat each day as such and devote a moment out of my day in prayer and thanksgiving.  It's something that I watch my mom do all the time and I have decided that if it could get her this far as a mom with three children, then prayer is definitely a must!  Plus I realize more and more that it inspires, encourages me and changes the way that I feel.  I'm much more energized and ready to take on the day.

#2 -  My name is Esther and I'm a frugalista and a paranoid mom for four years now.   Your response should be "Welcome Esther"!  As much as I hate the idea of leaving my children with strangers, I think it's time to invest in a good, reliable, trustworthy, and smart babysitter!  Hubby and I need a break.  I can't tell you when we had our last date night.  Also, a babysitter would come in handy when I need to get out and pamper myself or indulge in some retail therapy.

#3 - I've started taking time off from work when I feel tired and stressed out.  When the floating holidays (Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran's Day, etc.) roll around at work, I would normally work them so that I could accumulate comp time.  Not always a good plan when I could really do with the time off.  It's tough because hard work is in my veins as a Caribbean woman, but sometimes you just have to give yourself a mental break.  So more days off to rejuvenate (spa and retail sessions are in order).  A holiday hang session with my girlfriends is in order.  All work and no play makes me a very grumpy lady!

#4 - Finally, I 'm realizing the affect that music has on me.  I'm finding that when I'm stressed or negativity starts to loom around me, next to prayer, music soothes my soul.  I crank up the stereo with whatever suits my spirit at the moment (Gospel, Jazz, R& B, Reggae, Soca) and I just let the stress roll away!  Music has a way of making you feel good and it sometimes reminds me of good times.

So these are a few methods that I plan to use to get back on track.  Please feel free to comment if you have any additional methods or suggestions.  I would love to hear from you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment