Monday, April 8, 2013

A Time for Everything

How does one handle the death of a loved one?  Hmm...this is something that I am still working out within myself.  I must admit, I'm still saddened by the deaths of family and friends that have passed on recently and several years ago.  The reality is that death is a part of life.  We are all born into this world and no one can guarantee how long we will be here.  As Ecclesiastes 3:2 says, "A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;".  Everyone and everything has a time here on earth.  Nothing lasts forever.  Ecclesiastes 3 says it best. One thing that remains consistent in my mind is that we must do what we can to enjoy the life we've been given.

Recently, I am reminded of my aunts and an uncle that passed away some years ago.  What usually triggers these mournful feelings is hearing about a death in a friend's family or maybe a co-worker had a death in their family.  I reminisce on how I felt when my loved one died and try to sympathize with others who are now mourning. As a spritual woman, I'm learning more and more to trust my faith and to lean not on my own understanding.  The deeper I dig into my christian faith, the more I realize that death is only a part of the picture.  God sees the bigger picture and only he can put the entire puzzle together.  It took me a while to find a church home since moving to the Jersey Shore and I think I've found a great community-oriented, bible-based, non-denominational church. As we study God's word each Sunday, I realize that there are several areas that address the subject of death and in most instances, comfort often follows. 


I recently observed Holy Week, Good Friday and Easter (Resurrection Sunday) last week and I was reminded that no matter what the situation looks like, God always has a plan for us. It's extremely hard for me to believe that God who planned this world in all its perfection doesn't have an even more amazing plan for us after death.  So I leave you with two very comforting bible verses that I think exemplifies what happens after death (from a Christian standpoint); by both the the deceased and those left to mourn them.

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" John 14:1-31

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.—Matthew 5:4

No comments:

Post a Comment